Sunday, August 30, 2009

Sukeban Boy - Not Power Rangers, not by a long shot

This post originally appeared on my friend's blog http://markvanname.blogspot.com/ on Monday, August 17, 2009. Mark had watched the movie on his beach vacation, after seeing the DVD cover in his photos, my friend, husband and I were intrigued and decided we would watch it too. After much hemming and hawing, I reviewed it and Mark agreed to post it to his blog. Just now getting around to posting it on mine.


It could easily have been created by the same folks responsible for the Power Rangers TV show for kids, but I really hope it wasn’t. My BFF insisted I watch it, so what could I say but, okay?


"It's pretty weird," she said. "It's not anime, but it's kind of like anime."


"Martial arts?" I asked.


"Well, huh...not really. Just watch it. You'll see. "


So I watched it last night with Eric, and now I have to wonder: Is this really the kind of movie you want to tell others you’ve watched? The back of the DVD mentions the guilty pleasure of Sukeban Boy. What if others judge me guilty for watching it?


Because they might.


Shit.


Because they would be accurate.


If you watch it, you, like I, might be guilty in the same way that you get when someone persuades you to eat a dish that you insist you do not like--and then you decide you like it and are embarrassed to admit that fact because you don’t know anyone else who would. Like a peanut butter and mayonnaise sammy on Wonderbread.


Just what kind of sandwich is this movie? Sukeban is a bad boy with gender identity issues, a strange father, and a bunch of crazy women after him. Here’s some of what you and he experience:


* heinous thong underwear worn under the blue and red pantyhose, an oddly fascinating and mesmerizing combination


* high school girl uniforms


* other terrible costuming


* girl fighting


* bad boob jobs


* a lot of butts, most of them wearing sumo diapers (Maybe that's a cultural thing, but ick!)


* fakey gore scenes


* strange fight clubs with stranger bosses


* gangs with names like "full frontal women," "monk women," "the braless women," and the "Bang Bang Bang, half naked women"


* bad martial arts with such fight moves as "Can Can dance of doom" and the "high kick of death"


Did I mention fart jokes?


In spite of the constant bad acting, I ended up liking Sukeban and cheering when he triumphs over the baddies. Mochico/Full Frontal Woman is also cool, whether she’s practicing humility after school or hatcheting off a bad girl’s legs (oops: spoiler alert).


Did I sense a bit of a Quentin Tarentino vibe? This may be worthy of further research.


Is this a fetish movie? Well, yes. But what kinds of fetishes? I'm sure I could not list them all. Eric thinks perhaps some of them might have to do with repetition and OCD.


Each individual element of this movie is so very wrong. Put them all together, though, and the film works. I loved its uniqueness, and I loved that something so weird made me laugh for an hour.


As the box said: It is a guilty pleasure. It is Sukeban Boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment